Kim Nam-joon (Hangul: 김남준) better known as "RM" (changed from Rap Monster), is a South Korean rapper, songwriter, and record producer. He is the leader and main rapper of the South Korean boy group BTS, and made his debut on June 13, 2013, as a member of BTS on Mnet's M! Countdown with the track "No More Dream" from their debut single album '2 Cool 4 Skool'. Together with the members of BTS, he went on to win a series of awards and performed at several events such as the Mnet Asian Music Awards (MAMA).
Early Life Edit
- RM was born on 12 September 1994 in Ilsan-gu, Goyang, South Korea. He grew up with his younger sister, Kim Geong Min in Seoul. During his primary school days he was impressed by uniforms and wanted to be a security guard of a housing society.
- He attended Global Cyber University and majored with honours in Broadcasting and Performing Art. He was among the top rankers in the national school exam and had a TOEIC score of over 900, which is commendable. He also has a very high IQ of 148.
- He learned his native language and Japanese in school and also picked up fluent English by watching popular American sitcoms like ‘Friends’. He also studied in New Zealand for a while and self taught himself English which he considered essential.
- Considering his academic performance, his parents expected him to take up a regular job. However, his love for music and the company he kept prevailed and he convinced his parents to allow him to become a full-time rapper. He was already writing lyrics that were quite popular while in school.
- According to him, rapping helped him get over the stress of his studies and the lyrics of his song ‘No More Dream’ was inspired by the days when he worked late into the night for his exams.
- Stage Name: RM (Changed from Rap Monster)
- Real name: Kim Nam-joon
- Birthday: September 12, 1994
- Zodiac Sign: Virgo
- Birthplace: Ilsan, South Korea
- Height: 181 cm (5’11”)
- Weight: 67 kg (147 lbs)
- Blood Type: A
- Chinese Zodiac: Dog
- Position(s): Leader, Main Rapper
- Kim Nam-joon began his career in music as a solo artist under the stage name of ‘Runch Randa’. In 2008, he briefly sang with Zico who was one of the rising stars in the hip-hop community of South Korea at that time. He was also part of a Korean hip-hop group called ‘Daenamhyup’ for some time.
- Later in 2013, he joined the popular K-pop group, ‘BTS’ also known as the Bangtan Boys and came to be known as ‘Rap Monster’ amongst his fans. He made his debut single album with BTS titled ‘2 Cool 4 Skool’ with the hit track ‘No More Dream’ in June 2013. Thereafter, he wrote the lyrics for a number of tracks of BTS and became the leader of the group and the main rapper.
- Besides BTS, he has collaborated with a number of Korean and foreign artists to produce some of the most popular singles and videos of rap music that went viral between 2014 and 2016. These include ‘Please Don’t Die’ with Warren G, ‘Bucku Bucku’ with the hip-hop group MFBTY’s, the soundtrack of ‘Fantastic Four’ with Marvel and a remix of 'Champion' with Fall Out Boy.
- He has been featured in the talk show ‘Hot Brain: Problematic Men’ where he is part of a five member panel of celebrities that discuss current social issues that affect today’s youth.
- RM has featured in a number of magazines and has been included in the Korean book titled ‘HipHopHada’ that features Korea’s leading hip-hop artists. He has also been covered in the American magazine XXL as one of South Korea’s most promising rappers.
- Kim Nam-joon has made many endorsements and appeared in a number of commercials for Korean brands. He is the brand ambassador for the ‘K’hawah’ popular coffee brand made in South Korea.
Net Worth Edit
As of december 2017, he has an estimated net worth of over $ 4 million and is certainly one of the rising stars in the East.
Major Works Edit
- As a lead artist, his numbers ‘Fantastic Feat’ from the album ‘Fantastic Four’ and ‘Reflection’ from the album ‘Wings’ have been listed as hits on the music charts of South Korea.
- His popular songs performed in collaboration with other artists include ‘Perfect Christmas’ with Jo Kwon, Lim Jeong-hee, Joohee and Jungkook and his international hot favourite ‘Please Don’t Die’ with Warren G.
- He released the mixtape, ‘RM’ in March 2015 under the label of ‘Big Hit Entertainment’ in digital download format on the internet.
- He has made a number of music videos that include ‘School of Tears’ (2012), ‘Adult Child’ (2013), ‘Do You’ (2014), ‘Bucku Bucku’ (2015) and his latest music video ‘Change’ in 2017.
- He has also appeared on the television shows ‘4things Show – Rap Monster’, ‘Hot Brain: Problematic Men’ ‘Close-up Observation Diary on Idol : Find Me’ and ‘Gura-Chacha : Time Slip – New Boy’.
Awards & Achievements Edit
- In 2013, RM (Formally Rap Monster) was honoured at the Golden Disk Awards and MelOn Music Awards.
- Again in 2013, he gained recognition at the Gaon Chart K-Pop Awards and Seoul Music Awards.
Personal Life Edit
- RM is not known to be dating anyone in particular and his current status is single. He once said at an interview that if he ever had a girlfriend not involved in show business he would have to constantly apologise to her because of his busy schedule that gives him no time for things like dating.
- He was nicknamed ‘Dance Prodigy’ by his dance teacher in school because of his dance steps.
- His favourite dance move is swinging his arms from side to side.
- He's known as the father of the group according to some of the fans.
- His IQ is 148.
- He is 24/25 years old (International/Korean ages respectively).
- He is also called ‘RapMon’, ‘Leader Mon’ and ‘God of Destruction’ by his fans.
- He was known to always end up breaking things that were repaired by Suga.
- He is also accident prone and often gets hurt saying that "The fans dont hurt me, I hurt myself".
- His favorite food is Korean knife noodles and he is a great fan of the computer game ‘Maple Story’
- He is a great supporter of LGBTQ rights.
- RM's BT21 character is a light blue Koala named Koya. Koya is always seen thinking with a sleepy expression. Koya has a purple nose because of the infamous saying V said in a concert, "I purple you." Which shows their love and support to ARMY
- His favorite character is Ryan from Kakao Friends/Talk.
- He has lost his passport multiple times.
- BTS has been around since 2010, but they debuted in 2013 because of the constant member change up. RM is the only member left from the original line up.
- His dog's name is Rap Mon.
- His ideal type is someone who is tall, feminine, smart, and has a nice voice.
- RM had to quit Problematic Men because of how popular they got. However, he made a brief appearance for the 1 year anniversary of the show as the cast called him.
- RM revealed that he spent most of his life as 'RM' and barely got to be Kim Namjoon. He admitted being very occupied and busy with idol life is hard, barely being able to spend time with family, friends, and do activities as a "normal" person would be able to do. He also mentioned that he feels sad and lonely at times and a way to cope with it is to express his thoughts and emotions through music. (Burn The Stage EP. 3 & 6)
- He claims to have never been successfully able to blow a bubble with bubblegum. (Run BTS! EP.50)
- He is currently the only member who doesn't have a driver's license.
- His main goal in life is to truly love himself.
- Namjoon changed his stage name from Rap Monster to RM last year. He felt that he outgrew his old stage name and thought that it was childish. He changed it to 'RM' which still has the initials of his old name, but it stands for 'Real Me'.
- When asked what is his favorite hair color that he's tried before, he said he likes silver the most. (Buzzfeed Puppy Interview 2018)